03 February 2014

All Grown Up


I expect to see the ladies of Downton Abbey taking Afternoon Tea, but not the ladies of The Big Bang Theory.  Sheldon might offer a hot beverage, but it took a mild identity crisis to bring Penny, Amy and Bernadette to the table.

The idea of Afternoon Tea comes as a way to be more "grown-up", which they find to be misdirected: they get dressed ladylike, and Amy wears her legendary tiara, and find themselves surrounded by mothers and their little daughters.  Well, I could have told you it's a little girl thing.  I've been trying to market Afternoon Tea as an all-gender, all-culture, and certainly all-age group encompassing activity, but one step into Alice's Tea Cup might convince you otherwise.  Still, I was disappointed to see how quickly they abandoned the tea and ended up at the bar.  I'm no teetotaler, but enjoy one thing at a time!  Also, in case you want to feel a little adult, there's usually such a thing as Champagne Tea in hotels.

Of course, I'm arguing with a fictional TV show, one that has no problem if women are interested in science,but apparently they can't be bothered to get into sci-fi or comic books. It's still one of my favorite shows, but nothing is perfect.

I do wish 'taking tea' appealed to more demographics, but then again, who wants it to get too popular?  Personally, I like the combination of the childlike enjoyment of sweets, with a slightly refined edge without being overly formal.  Tiaras optional.

2 comments:

The Countess said...

I loved that episode, I'm a big fan of the show! It would be great if more people would go out to take tea, no matter their age or gender. And no, tiaras should never be optional ;)

Bonnie said...

I would much rather go to afternoon tea than a bar. But I think it's prob. a good thing that it's not so so popular-more for us! I have at least 2 places in mind for afternoon tea when u come here :-) And no bars in mind. Now, a British pub? That would be another story...